- Large Spaghetti squash
- Chicken sausage
- Spaghetti squash(Read the label and make sure sugar is not listed as an ingredient)
Two ways to cook the squash:
- Microwave: Poke holes in the squash so that it will not explode. Depending on size..but on average, cook for 5 min, then turn it over and cook for another 5 min. The squash should be semi soft to the touch, but if you over cook it, it will turn out “soggy”. Cut the squash in half, scrap the seeds out, and then take a fork and “shred” the squash form the sides. It will come out in spaghetti like strands.
- Oven: Cut the squash in half, and scrap Place in a baking dish with 1/2″ of water in the bottom. Pre-heat your oven 375, place the squah in the over, bake for 10-15 min, then flip them. Bake for another 10-15 minutes. It will depend on the size of the squah how long they have to cook, but again they should be fairly soft to the touch. Remove, from the water shred the squash sides and enjoy.
Chicken Sausage: We always get our from Sunflower and they have lots of different flavors..Chicken italian, chicken basil, chicken apple..and a few others we have not tried. We prefer to cook our sausage on our Foreman because the fat does run off in the tray. You can could them this way or you could also throw them on thee BBQ outside. They usually take 20 minutes, be sure to rotate them as they are cooking. Done when they are not longer pink in the middle!
Depending on how many blocks you need, measure out your squash( 1 cup = 1 block carbs), measure your sausage (1.5 oz = 1 block protein), measure your sauce (1/2 cup=1 block carbs). Combine and enjoy! Make sure to add a fat to this meal to make it balanced!
If you are interested in making your own sauce here is what I do:
- Tomato Sauce
- Diced Tomato
- Tomato Puree
- Tomato Paste
- Fresh Basil-chopped, to taste
- Fresh Garlic-chopped, to taste
- Fresh Oregano-chopped, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- Onion Powder, to taste
- Chili Powder, to taste
Depending on how much sauce you want, mix all ingredients in a crock pot, let simmer for 3-4 hours! Enjoy over the top of squash and sausage!